Sunday, July 15, 2007

Little Red Rose

You know the type I'm talking about. The kind your local grocery store carries, especially during holidays. They always seem to have a plant section with miniature roses in various colors, sitting there in their four inch pots with their perfect little buds and flowers calling to you "buy me...take me home...I'm beautiful...I won't die on you..."

I have never had luck with any miniature rose I've purchased. As soon as I bring them home they begin to wilt and die. It didn't matter where I located them...in the house, on the patio, planted in the ground. Maybe I gave them to much water or not enough water. Or maybe I gave them to much sunlight or not enough sunlight.

Then a few months ago my sister brought me home a miniature red rose as a surprise! I really felt bad for it. I knew it's fate. But surprisingly, the little red rose is thriving! After the first bloom, I replanted it into a larger pot and put it on the patio. I am amazed at how well it's doing! It's about three or four times it's original size!

Today, as I was giving Little Red Rose (yes I named it...after all it's a survivor) a drink of water, I'm almost sure I heard it whisper..."see...I told you I wouldn't die on you" :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh I thought I was the only one that had that problem. You are one up on me. Never had one survive. Great blog!
Cobaltlady

Doobeedog said...

Hi Cobaltlady! Thank you for your comment.

This must be my season of the "Green Thumb". All my plants are doing great.

Calicobox

Unknown said...

I have never had any luck with the little Rose plants either. Mine die just like yours. I never thought of replanting them right away. Now I will have to get another one and give it a try.

Doobeedog said...

Hi Diann! Thank you for your comment.

Good luck with your mini roses! They are worth the extra effort!

Thank you for your comment.

Calicobox