Tuesday, August 21, 2007




My cacti flower has opened! It only opens at night and closes in the daytime. It was just chance that I happened to see it open.

My little dog Doobee enjoys going out late at night to see what's prowling the yard (he thinks he's a big old tough guard dog). He sits on the patio and just stares at the back fence, waiting for something to move so he can chase it and bark. Last night it was a opossum. I don't let him carry on too much. I don't want my neighbors to get mad.

When I went outside to stop him from barking, I noticed my cacti flower had opened! It was beautiful! I was wondering how was I going to get a picture of this flower when it was so dark outside? Well, my sister held her flashlight over the top of the flower while I took the picture! It worked just fine!

Why does this cacti only open it's flower at night?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus
Many cactus species are night blooming, as they are pollinated by nocturnal insects or small animals, principally moths and bats.


2 comments:

Gail Wilkins said...

I'm a club99er and caught your post at the chat. Being a landscaper by trade I must say that every year my Barrel Cactus gets a simular flower that only opens for a few hours and then dies. It happens on July 4th and has become an annual "wait and see". I had 11 blooms at once in 2009. Try a product called "Cactus Juice" for a good supplement. It's also a myth that you don't need to water them. Cactus also open and close due to temps in the desert as it is a myth that it's always hot there. The desert gets quite cold at night. I will post a pic of my pink beauty on my blog and send you the link. I just love all your pic's. Looks like a green thumb growing? Gail

Gail said...

I have the same barrel catus but it has a pink flower and it is an annual event at my house on the 4th of July to see if you can catch a glimpse before is closes and wilts. It's fun.